Tuesday, November 29, 2011

USA Today Examines HIV/AIDS

USA Today Examines HIV/AIDS Among Hemophiliacs, History of Virus in U.S. Blood Supply


USA Today on Wednesday examined HIV/AIDS among hemophiliacs and the history of the virus in the U.S. blood supply. Hemophilia, a condition in which a person's blood does not clot normally, mostly occurs in men, and hemophiliacs need transfusions of clotting factors on a regular basis, USA Today reports. According to USA Today, about 10,000 hemophiliacs had contracted HIV, hepatitis B and hepatitis C from tainted blood products by the mid-1980s, many of them "before doctors figured out what was causing" HIV/AIDS. "Despite mounting evidence that AIDS was spreading among hemophiliacs" in the early 1980s, the National Hemophilia Foundation advised patients to continue taking clotting factors "as prescribed," and "[t]he result was one of the biggest medical disasters ever," USA Today reports. According to a 1995 report by the Institute of Medicine, federal regulators, hemophilia advocates and companies that supplied blood products to hemophiliacs failed to "act quickly enough" to prevent the spread of HIV and other bloodborne diseases through blood products. Thousands of hemophiliacs have filed lawsuits against the U.S. government and drug companies that produced the tainted blood products. Many of the lawsuits were settled by giving $100,000 payouts to the hemophiliacs and their families, USA Today reports. Blood products now are genetically engineered and heat-treated to eliminate nearly all viruses, according to USA Today (Sternberg [1], USA Today, 7/12).

HIV/AIDS Splinters Hemophilia Community
In a related article, USA Today examined the splintering of hemophilia foundations and advocacy organizations after the spread of HIV/AIDS among hemophiliacs. After "many hemophiliacs blame[d]" NHF for "urging them to continue using clotting factors that gave them HIV," a new group, called the Hemophilia Federation of America, emerged. A third hemophilia group, Committee of Ten Thousand, also was founded after the NHF controversy. The three foundations currently are working together, according to Neil Frick of NHF. "We want to make sure a tragedy like this never happens again," Frick said (Sternberg [2], USA Today, 7/12).

1 comment:

  1. I am very happy today to share this amazing testimony on how Dr. idahosa the herbal doctor was able to cure me from my HIV Virus with his herbal medicine. I have been a HIV patient for almost 8 months now and have tried different methods of treatment to ensure that I am cured of this terrible disease, but none worked for me, so I had to leave everything to God to handle as I was a Christian who had faith that one day God would intervene in my life, yet I felt so sad and desperate as I was losing almost everything due to my illness, A few months ago while I was surfing the internet I saw different recommendation about Dr idahosa on how he have been using his herbal Medicine to treat and cure people, these people advice we contact Dr. idahosa for any problem that would help immediately, I contacted Dr idahosa and I told him how I got his contact and also about my disease, after some time Dr. idahosa told me to have faith that he would prepare for me a medication of herbal herbs, he told me I would take this medicine for a few weeks and also asked my home for home address so as possible for him to submit the drug for me, so my good friends after all the process and everything Dr idahosa actually sent me the medicine, I took it as I was directed by Dr. idahosa, after a few weeks passed, while on Dr.idahosa medication I began to experience changes in my body, I had to call my doctor at the hospital for some blood test after test my hospital doctor told me that I was no longer with the Hiv virus and my blood is pretty good, I can not even believe this, Friends well today i am Hiv Free and i want everyone to know that there is a cure for Hiv for those who will contact Dr idahosa after reading my testimony, you can kindly contact Dr. idahosa in (dridahosasolutioncenter@gmail.com) or call his WhatssaAp number +2348134261542, God bless you all ...

    ReplyDelete