Sunday, July 24, 2011

several years ago, she told the neighbours he was HIV

Vihiga — When Yona, 12, went to live with his grandmother after his parents died several years ago, she told the neighbours he was HIV-positive, hoping he would get some sympathy. Instead, the boy found himself ridiculed and alienated from his playmates.

"My grandmother told them, because I was always sick. Many children who know, fear me and don't want to play with me," he told IRIN/PlusNews at his home in Vihiga District, western Kenya. "They think I can give it to them, but I know I cannot. I tell them I am like them but they don't agree."

Some of the kids in his neighbourhood still refuse to hang out with him, but three years ago, Yona found a new set of friends. A support group for children living with HIV has given him the chance to regularly meet children his own age to play or share personal experiences.

"Since I started meeting my friends, I am not afraid of HIV, because I see them and I see myself and we are very fine," he said. "When I come here and meet with my friends, we play and somebody asks me if I have taken my drug then I remember I should take my medicine."

The support group is part of Zingatia Maisha ("carefully consider life" in Swahili) - a project run by the government and NGOs, including the Elizabeth Glaser Paediatric AIDS Foundation (EGPAF) and the African Medical and Research Foundation, AMREF. The programme aims to involve people living with HIV and their communities in treatment, adherence and support.

No comments:

Post a Comment