Sunday, February 27, 2011

Aids

The topic I choose for my last journal is HIV/AIDS. Over my life through High school and in my first year of college I have learned about HIV/AIDS in many of my classes. We were taught high-risk behaviors and many ways to prevent it. I was taught all similar material in this course but this all took on a whole new meaning recently. Some of the high-risk behaviors to get HIV/Aids are using IV drugs, Blood transfusions, unprotected anal or vaginal sex. When I was younger hearing things like this made me immediately think “ I can’t get this disease.” I thought to myself “I’m not a drug addict, the hospitals now screen blood very carefully and I don’t have sex yet. Even if I did have sex my boyfriend is clean he couldn’t have this.” This was my attitude for a long time until now. This is why this topic really hit home when we studied it in this course. I realized w





I had called up one of my good friends just to say hello, and see how everything was going. This class and this whole experience have made me think twice before doing any high-risk behaviors and I am truly thankful for this. This was one of those guys everyone loved a real ladies man. As I went through my life more and more HIV/AIDS became more and more real to me. I was never that shocked in my life. Also I have seen my friends use IV drugs, where as 5 years ago the thought of me using IV drugs was out of the question. In the sense that if anyone of them has this disease I will more then likely get it. This is why I choose to write about HIV/AIDS its sad that it took something like this to make me realize how truly real this disease is but I"tmm glad I realized before it was too late. e went through the chain of a person having sex that if my partner had a couple previous partners, I was in fact having sex with all of them. The trouble was he never used condoms, he felt he was not at risk with his partners. I"tmm happy that the test was negative but even a little scare like that can change the way I live my life. He told me that one of his best friends that is also a friend of mine was in the hospital in critical condition. The good news is that he got back the HIV/AIDS test and it came back negative but he is still in critical condition and they are unsure what it wrong with him. The danger of this disease didn"tmt truly hit until about a week ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment