Monday, January 10, 2011

WHAT ARE CD4 CELLS?

WHAT ARE CD4 CELLS?

CD4 cells are a type of lymphocyte (white blood cell). They are an important part of the immune system. CD4 cells are sometimes called T-cells. There are two main types of T-cells. T-4 cells, also called CD4+, are “helper” cells. They lead the attack against infections. T-8 cells, (CD8+), are “suppressor” cells that end the immune response. CD8+ cells can also be ?killer? cells that kill cancer cells and cells infected with a virus.

Researchers can tell these cells apart by specific proteins on the cell surface. A T-4 cell is a T-cell with CD4 molecules on its surface. This type of T-cell is also called ?CD4 positive,? or CD4+.

WHY ARE CD4 CELLS IMPORTANT IN HIV?

When HIV infects humans, the cells it infects most often are CD4 cells. The virus becomes part of the cells, and when they multiply to fight an infection, they also make more copies of HIV.

When someone is infected with HIV for a long time, the number of CD4 cells they have (their CD4 cell count) goes down. This is a sign that the immune system is being weakened. The lower the CD4 cell count, the more likely the person will get sick.

There are millions of different families of CD4 cells. Each family is designed to fight a specific type of germ. When HIV reduces the number of CD4 cells, some of these families can be totally wiped out. You can lose the ability to fight off the particular germs those families were designed for. If this happens, you might develop an opportunistic infection (See Fact Sheet 500).

1 comment:

  1. I'M TRISHA NELSON I contracted HIV in 2O16, I was told by my doctor that there's no possible cure for HIV. I started taking my ARVs, My CD4 was 77 and the viral load was 112,450. I saw a website of Dr. James, also I saw a lot of testimonials about him on how he uses herbal medicine to cure HIV. I contacted him and told him my problems, He sent me the herbal medicine and I took it for 3 weeks,after that I went for a check-up and I was cured of HIV . his herbal  medicine has NO SIDE EFFECT AND EASY TO DRINK, there's no special diet when taking Dr James herbal medicine. He also cures DIABETES, CANCER HPV, ALS, HEPATITIS B, KIDNEY DISEASES, HERPES  and lots more. You can reach him on...drjamesherbalmix@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete